In the early days APIs were just about deploying and consuming. You were doing one or the other. Then came API management from providers like Mashery, then 3Scale and recently Apiphany. Now the API universe is expanding and API design is coming front and center with new approaches, tools and even companies stepping up to provider services.
I define the world of API design as everything that goes into planning and designing your API, as well as the design of your API that lives on as your operational interface.
Depending on our needs, API design may begin with learning about HATEOAS as part of your design definition Or API design might be just about generating a Swagger definition so you can generate interactive API documentation.
Ultimately your API design will be the definition of each endpoint, its methods, fields and much more. In a technical sense it is a JSON or XML blueprint that describes your API, and in a creative sense, API design is an art and can possess a strange technical beauty and speak to the value it delivers to end-users.
Thoughtful API design early on can save you a lot of mistakes down the road. This site is not meant to endorse any particular approach or methodology, but provide a single resource where you can find the best information on API design.
This site will be an open source informational and technical repository of the building blocks of API design, tools for assisting you in your API design planning and execution and companies that provide services in the area of API design.
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The Evolving Motivations Behind API Definitions
- API Design: Do You Swagger, Blueprint or RAML?
- Generating The Utility APIs I Need For Each Developer Portal
- Server Side API Templates On AWS Cloud Formation And OpenShift
- Getting Your API Done From the Outside-In
- API Commons Is More Than Just The Definition, Specification or Schema
- Interactive Feedback On The FDA Recall API
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) API
- The Human Aspects Of Api Design An Interview With Apiarys Jakub Nesetril
- More Thoughts on an API Commons